Beth Buzz - What is Beth Agnew up to now?

A news blog to keep you up to date on the activities of Beth Agnew.
Multiple projects, always a new idea, never a dull moment! Follow @Professorsan on Twitter.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Why am I here?

They are the age-old questions that each of us asks at some point as we grow up:
  • Who am I?
  • Why am I here?
I tend to believe that the first question is answered by the second. If we know why we are where we are, we can usually figure out what qualities we have as individuals that have brought us to that location at that point in time.

Deep philosophical stuff for a blog that is usually lighter in tone.

This pondering has been prompted by my introductory remarks to our first class of TCN701 -- The Technical Communicator this year. Seneca's 2009/2010 academic year started today, and I'm energized by the new class. They represent not only people from all types of backgrounds but people with all sorts of talents, abilities and experiences. By way of letting them know who they're getting as an instructor (me), I tell them a little about what brought me to Seneca and why I think I have something to offer them.

It behooves each of us to question -- from time to time, not continuously -- who and what we are all about. Often given to introspection, I perhaps question more than most. Of course, asking the question is not what matters; answering it is.

I told the class today that teaching at Seneca is my dream job, and it is. I get to share what I know with up and coming practitioners in my field, and help them navigate the rushing waters that flow around choosing a career direction. On behalf of Seneca I get to reach out into the broader community and network with employers, industry experts, people in related fields and industries, and the general public. And I still get enough free time to enjoy my own company and recreate as I feel inclined.

Why am I here?
Because the universe chose me to stand in this exact spot and do what it is I do.

Tally ho!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|